Mardi Gras today is where people go to big cities like lafayette (where i live), Baton Rouge, or New Orleans to celebrate what is now a natinal drinking holiday of parades and bead catching. But there are some places that you can still go to that celcbrate Mardi Gras like it was ment to be celebrated. In a small city called Mamou (where my dads side is from) they still run traditinal Mardi Gras.
Traditionally- in a nut shell, you have a group of people who (who represent poor beggars) dress in alabrate costumes that you make yourself with pointed hats (which symbolizes the mockery of nobility) and masks. They go door to door in the early morning begging for food or money. In the end they put all the food together to make a gumbo. During this time people are drinking, dancing, singing, and chasing chickens (i did this when i was a kid and caught the chicken!) to add to the gumbo. Its a big party. Mamou, Louisiana is now i belive is one of the only places where you can attened a traditional Mardi Gras.
Most traditional costumes are made to look like birds or other animals. This one is based off of the Cajun folkloric animal the Rougaroo (werewolf).And New Orleans Indians
Hag stones are stones that have naturally occurring holes in them from years of water erosion. These stones are often found along side beaches and streams. Hag stones have occupied myth and magic for centuries. In folk magic systems, these stones are often believed to ward off evil, curses,…
Woo Hoo! 700 Followers and I’m doing a witchy give away! All of these things were made or grown by me, well mostly. You know what I mean. I already run one Etsy shop but this year I will be opening a second Etsy shop of witch crafts that will be called Scrapcraft Witchery. That’s not up and running yet but this is a sampling of some of the things I will be offering.
Here’s what I’m giving away:
- a little jar (cause witches love jars) that is filled with moss collected from a NW forest with a moonstone, citrine, quartz, and carnelian nestled into it.
- a Self Care spell candle with glass candle holder. I made these candles with cinnamon and clove oil for a boost of confidence and creativity. The red tops are to kickstart the spell with some love for yourself and the purple for some power and inspiration.
- a good luck bottle with wild crafted woodland moss and a small crystal point.
- a bottle of the Mercury Retrograde protection oil. I whipped this up myself and this is my first batch that I’m using as a tester. It is really frustrating how a planet appears to go backwards in the sky and so many things get messed up in my life. I created this formula intent on minimizing it.
- a small besom made from birch twigs with a copper wrap and some beads.
- herb bundles for burning: Sage and Mugwort grown in my garden (burn the mugwort in a ventilated place!)
- Seeds grown in my organic and pesticide free yard: Calendula, Foxglove, Borage, Moonwort, Love in a Mist, and daisies. (I haven’t written up growing instructions for these so you will have to look them up yourself)
How to enter this give away:
- You don’t have to be following me (upthewitchypunx) but it sure would be nice. I’d really rather give this stuff some one who follows me.
- Reblogs and likes count as entries, but reblogs count more! You can like and reblog as much as you want, but I don’t think your followers would appreciate being spammed!
- must have your ask box open.
- If I do not hear back within 48 hours a new winner will be chosen.
- Sorry, only open to residents of the United States. It’s not so much the shipping as the seeds and other natural items are often forbidden to be shipped to other countries.
- I’ll randomly choose a winner on March 1, 2014
Thanks! Good luck!
I’ll be choosing a winner in less than a week!
Family dinner :)